Jul 14, 2010
The following is a list of ingredient names that indicate the use of dairy in a food.
Avoid foods that contain any of the following ingredients:
- artificial butter flavor
- butter, butter fat, buttermilk
- caseinates (ammonia, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium)
- cottage cheese
- half and half
- hydrolysates (casein, milk protein, protein, whey, whey protein)
- lactalbumin, lactalbumin phosphate
- milk (derivative, protein, solids, malted, condensed, evaporated, dry, whole, low fat, non fat, skim)
- rennet casein
- sour cream, sour cream solids
- sour milk solids
- whey (delactosed, demineralized, protein concentrate)
Ingredients that MAY indicate the presence of milk protein:
- brown sugar flavoring
- caramel flavoring
- high protein flour
- natural flavoring
- A “D” on a product label next to a “K” or circled “U” may indicate the presence of milk protein.
2010 Jay N. Gordon. All rights reserved. Disclaimer: All material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. Consult with your health care provider regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.